Photographs From my Travels

Monday, August 29, 2011

Photographs

From Bahamas - 2011



Let me take a minute to discuss my introduction to photographs on cruise ships. I rarely mention it in the posts because I did not participate in it.` However, after watching my fellow passengers on the final day I have come to realize that the on board photography must mean more to others then it does to be.

There are lots of opportunities to have your photograph taken. The people taking the photographs seem to be professionals. This is a big money maker in the ship. The only area that I really noticed security detectors were on the floor of the atrium that held the photographs.

First, let me say that I got a lot of nasty looks for saying no thanks. They are also a bit pushy about it. Most people won't notice this becuase they don't mind having their photograph taken. Also, all of the photographs are optional. Just because they take it does not mean you have to buy it. Nor did anyone really pressure you to buy them. However, by the final day people were very absorbed with finding their photographs and buy them.

The ship even has all sorts of themed frames to buy, scrap books, and photo albums. There was a scrap book class on one of the sea days for people to learn to or work on their cruise scrap booking.

That said, they take your photograph constantly. When we boarded they had two back drops set up. One was a photograph of the ship. As each group approached the gangway they called them over and set them up in front of each of the back drops. When our turn came I said, "Do I have to?" and the guy goes, "No but its fun! Memories! Come on!"

"No thanks!" and I headed to the gangway. My goal was the cruise not a photograph I would not want. I'm not fond of photographs.

The photo taken as an ID photo when you board is not one they show you or you buy. They kind of taken it on the sly. I might not have noticed if I did not know they were going to do it. They take it as they scan your card the first time and welcome you on board.

They took photographs at the meals as well. They would take them separately, together, in groups, by gender, whatever you would agree with. I pissed that lady off by saying, "No thank you". It is very much not expected for you to refuse.

Then, through the ship they have photo shoots set up. There are backgrounds and props.

Before the meals they often have a themed character to have your picture taken with.

When you get off the ship at port they want to take your picture with the backdrop of where you are. I had to say no thank you to that. I got some more nasty looks for refusing.

When you get off at port they have another themed character to have your photo taken with.

They take your photo through the ship for candid shots.

They record the parties on the Lido deck and sell the videos for you to buy as people dance and compete in the competitions.

On Elegant Night the Fun Times suggests that you stop at the photo ops and take shots at each background. There were twenty of them scattered around the ship between three decks.

Then, the deck of the atrium that is dedicated to the photographs is vast. The photos start on the walls. Then, they get filled up and the photograph racks unclip and unfold from the wall. I assume a ship with a longer itinerary has an even larger place for photographs because they were crammed by the time we were done.


And the prices. I took a photo of the price guide. Fancy photos were 22 and casual were 10-12. Set up shots that were not fancy were 20. You could get a second copy of any shot for 10 bucks.

We got 3 photographs the entire time we where there. 2 from our Segway tour and taken by the Segway people. The husband wanted them. One was of the husband and that was from his tour of the ship and included in the price of the tour.

Those were the only photos we agreed to have taken. If they took any of us that I missed, oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment