Photographs From my Travels

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Jet Skis, Sand and Water

We tried the grill area for lunch this time. I said, “don’t eat to much” and my husband said, “Okay.” I got Mongolian for both of us and he ran off to get a hot dog for himself and a burger for me.

Once I had the Mongolian in hand I found him at a table with hot dogs, burgers and fries. I plunked down the Mongolian and said, “I thought we were not going to get super full?”

“Whoops.”

Lunch was okay. The burgers are pretty good. Not the best thing ever put on a bun, but nice and flavorful if thin. I don’t mind them thin. I take off half of the bun anyway, plus I understand the concept of mass market food and money management. They are going to be just enough and not more. I’ve had Michelin star burgers before and its a different environment and a different comparison. (I still dream about those Michelin star burgers as well, wow) The hot dogs I don’t care for but the husband really enjoys. The fries are super tasty. The Mongolian was not so much. It needed more sauce in my opinion. It wasn’t bad just not great. I will try it again on my next cruise but I did not eat it again on that one. There were better meals available on the ship.

Fuller then we meant to be, we went to change and rest for a little bit before we went to use the jet skis. We had gotten little water wallets. They are plastic with a clamp and a rubber seal. They had stayed dry for our snorkeling and we wore them around our necks to carry our sail and sign cards. We added our photo IDs to the mix. Our swimming clothing looks more like tops and shorts. Its easier then carrying bags for cover ups and such things. On our feet we wore our Vibram Five Fingers. They are all I wear these days and they are excellent beach shoes. My pair for the day were bright blue and yellow and got a lot of attention during the day.

We went and found the Jet Ski place. The off Carnival excursion is a bit more... rugged. We paid, they called the guy to expect them and put a pink band on the husbands wrist with the reservation number. Everyone assumed that we were Jet Sking for the husband and that I might not want to do it with him. I didn’t tell them it was the reverse.

Our cab fare to Paradise Beach was included. Our cab fair back was not.

From Bahamas - 2011

We avoided hawkers for jet skis, beach chairs, umbrellas, water, beer, para sailing and everything else. We found our place and after a brief argument about who was riding and the fact that we wanted to ride double we went out on the jet skis.

From Bahamas - 2011

The husband just wanted to ride. I did a ten minute learn to use the jet ski with its owner and then released us. I will say that for two heavier people, it wallowed a bit. He enjoyed himself. I had fun but I learned that I don’t like having a passenger. I am a motorcycle rider and I refuse to have a passenger on my bike. Now I am even more sure that I will never allow someone to ride behind me on my bike. There is no warm ocean to catch us if we go over. Because he is not a strong swimmer I fretted about him the entire time. We had life vests but I still worried. Then, a strong wave came as I was turning around and off we went.

I was frantic about my husband. I surfaced and found he was right beside me, giggling and holding onto the side of the jet ski with his life vest doing its job. The water was so warm the fall itself wasn’t a shock. Also, the flavor of the water was different from the snorkeling in Freeport. It was not as bitty and nasty saline.

The jet skis owner came and rescued us. The husband went back in and I finished riding around. I will list Jet Skis as a lot of fun. Next time we will each ride our own. I tipped the young man that had been so informative and we laughed over our unexpected plunge into the water.

Now he has a story to tell about how I dumped him in the Ocean.

Sand Sand Everywhere

From Bahamas - 2011

We decided to stay on the beach and play in the water.

From Bahamas - 2011

My idea of beach and ocean is not pleasant. It was limited to Ocean City, Maryland on the east cost. The sand is dirty and full of trash. People like to use drugs on the beach as well and there is a constant worry about strings along with the trash. The water is normally very cold and a murky color. The sand is full of shells and trash and you begin to fear for what you might have stepped on. There are also plenty of jelly fish to top things off.

The beaches and the water in the Caribbean are nothing like that. The beaches are clean if you take away the cans and bottles of drink everywhere. People tuck them into the sand to go play in the water. This is not the best idea that they have ever had. The cans get filled with sand. Beyond this, and the occasional bottle in the water it is very clean. I think people are surprised at how quickly the tide comes in and they get their things stolen from them.

The water is warm. It is warm like a bath is warm. At only a few degrees below your body temperature the feeling is blissful. There is no cold shock to it. Also, it is very, very clear. This helps make things a little bit nicer in an already nice day.

We were already wet from the jet skis. It was a simple matter of going, “Wanna play in the water?” and Tim saying, “Yeah.” We trotted down to the water and plunged in. The water is a lot of fun. Swells come in and the undertow happily drags you out. You can go about fifty feet out before the grounds shifts down a bit more rapidly and you are free swimming. There is a swim line to separate the swimmers from the people on jet skis.

We swam, we played in the waves, we made use of our under water cameras and took photographs of our toe shoes. My Vibram Five Finger’s are an excellent water shoe. You can dig in like you do with yor foot without the discomfort of shells or weird things on your feet.

From Bahamas - 2011


There is also a lot of free floating seaweed in the water. So I took an underwater photo of seaweed on the surface.

From Bahamas - 2011


A group of young men got in a little bit away fro us. I do not think that they expected the water to be as violent as it was. They swam, they splashed around, and one lost his sunglasses after an especially large wave came in and smashed all of us under.

When he realized he had lost his sunglasses he started to panic. It seems that they where a six hundred dollar pair. They all start looking but none are to be found. They asked us if we had seen them and we said no.

I looked. About two waves later I saw them. I lunged for them as the wave hit and got them only to loose them again. A few frantic grabs and I surfaced with a handful of sand and a pair of expensive sunglasses. I waved him down and handed them over. He thanked me profusely and said that if he had a hundred dollar bill he’d give it to me. That made me laugh.

We played for a while longer.

From Bahamas - 2011

It was easy to get dragged around the beach in unexpected directions. We played in the waves and played in the surf and finally, when standing was becoming to much work dragged ourselves out of the water and headed back to the ships.


The Kodak Playsport is a good little camera

From Bahamas - 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment